The main benefit of membership is being part of the only Shiatsu dedicated professional membership body in the UK.
The Shiatsu Society is unique in that it has set and maintains the standards for training and professional practice of Shiatsu in the UK. MrSS is recognised as the ‘gold standard’ for Shiatsu practitioners, and those on our Register benefit from things like automatic eligibility to join an Accredited Register such as the CNHC (approved by the Professional Standards Authority), and exemption from needing a licence to practice from commercial premises in the London Boroughs.
As a professional organisation our focus is on our members, our interests and our specific standards. In contrast, the role of an Accredited Register is to protect the public. They provide the public (and public bodies such as medical authorities) with the assurance that a practitioner on their Register is of a professional standard. But it is the Shiatsu Society which guarantees that professional standard through our procedures, such as the ratification of Shiatsu Schools, which create access to MrSS. Accredited Registers recognise the Shiatsu Society as the organisation which provides “quality assurance” on standards of training and practice in Shiatsu.
Marketing organisations do good work in promoting Shiatsu and other therapies for people who sign up to their registers. But they cannot guarantee standards of professional practice. Most of these organisations require people who join to be a member of the professional association for the therapy they practice. So they also rely on the Shiatsu Society to provide “quality assurance”.
Our Society stands at the heart of Shiatsu. We are the specialist organisation, where other bodies generally promote multiple therapies. Our Register, which is a single Register despite there now being three membership categories, is the springboard from which we can jump up onto an Accredited Register to promote ourselves, or out to a marketing company. In terms of frameworks, we stand at the centre and other organisations and authorities depend upon the Shiatsu Society’s holding and maintenance of those standards which we, as practitioners ourselves, know are appropriate to the professional practice of Shiatsu.
- You will be part of our Shiatsu Society UK Community
- Inclusion in our Register of Practitioners*
- You will recieve our indepth quarterly Shiatsu Society Journal
- Our E-Newsletter will keep you informed of upcoming events and announcements
- We have a closed FaceBook group to discuss all things Shiatsu
- We have a resource library to support you in your Shiatsu Practice
- Members of the Shiatsu Society can get discounts on books with Singing Dragon and Elsevier publishers
- Futon Pacifika offer discounts to our members
- And many CPD course providers offer exclusive discounts to our Members*
- 2nd/3rd Year Students and Registered members (MrSS, SrSS and FwSS) have insurance automatically provided by the Shiatsu Society*
Please note those asterisked* do not apply to Associates
Below are the discounts which were available within the Members Login area during January 2019.